Below are our 10 Points of Focus with an indication of just some of the actions we are taking to achieve our targets. There are many activities and initiatives being worked on under each Point of Focus, too many to list, and we encourage our stakeholders to suggest new ways that we can deliver better Responsible Development.
1. Operational emissions
Achieve carbon intensity targets via reduced energy consumption and improved efficiency.
- Early design stage energy modelling to optimise building form
- Specification of efficient lighting / services
- Implementation of sub metering and monitoring regime
2. Zero waste
Reduced construction waste with 99% diversion from landfill target.
- Reduction and diversion of waste from landfill
- Consideration of design to facilitate ease of operational waste collection
- Review of long term role of building to enable flexibility / repurposing
3. Plan and build considerately
Minimise or remove any negative environmental impact of the design, delivery and operation of our buildings.
- Construction environmental management
- No net loss of Biodiversity
- Green travel planning
Achieve water reduction targets through improved efficiency, capture and reuse.
- Consideration of flood risk
- Specification of water efficient fixture and fittings
- Review of greywater recycling / rainwater harvesting opportunity
Ensure materials are sourced from sustainable sources which offer long term robustness and have no negative health implications.
- Consideration of recycled content and reuse potential
- Review of material scarcity and security
- Use of Central Point of Expertise on Timber (CPET) approved timber
6. Collaborate to find new ways and better solutions
Embrace innovative approaches and future proof our properties.
- Encouragement of the use of Building Information Modelling (BIM)
- Undertaking of post occupancy evaluation
- Development of climate change adaptation strategies
7. Create great places for our customers
Ensure a safe, healthy and welcoming environment for our customers.
- Development of comfortable spaces (visual and mind)
- Inclusive design
- Awareness raising and information dissemination
8. Deliver great work places for our Partners
Recognise the role the building can play in affecting health, wellbeing and productivity.
- Provision of optimum thermal and visual comfort
- Analysis of indoor air quality
- Assessment of ergonomics of design
Become a fulcrum of the community through engagement, understanding and collaboration.
- Procurement of local supply chain
- Provision of communal spaces
- Link with local wildlife groups and other associated stakeholders
10. Think and Act responsibly
Consider the long term operation of our buildings, minimise gaps between design and operational performance and encourage our supply chain to be responsible.
- Behavioural training
- Positive influence on the supply chain
- Raising awareness of environmental and health and wellbeing aspects